I have made this recipe around the holidays just about every year and it has been a fabulous keto alternative to stuffing. I don’t even miss the stuff this one is so good.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 6 eggs (or 3 eggs and 1/3 cup coconut milk if you are running low on eggs)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 cups celery, chopped (this is optional for people that like celery. I’m not a fan so I left it out)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 5 cups crumbled “cornbread” (from above bread recipe)
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth (add more if you prefer a mushy stuffing. I like mine more firm.)
- 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning ( or make your own: 2 teaspoons ground sage, 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground thyme, 1 teaspoon ground marjoram, 3⁄4 teaspoon ground rosemary, 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1⁄2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper)
- 1 tsp sage
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium-sized bowl sift together the dry ingredients. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until very smooth.
- Grease a small bread pan and fill about 2/3 of the way full with batter.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. This can be made ahead and frozen.
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Place sausage, celery, and onions in a large, deep skillet.
- Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown.
- Drain, crumble and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine sausage mixture with cornbread, chicken broth, poultry seasoning, and sage.
- Mix well and transfer to a 9×12 inch baking dish.
- Bake, covered, for 45 minutes or until well set and cooked through. Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional info (per serving):
Traditional Cornbread Stuffing = 441 calories, 20g fat, 15g protein, 52 carbs, 4.3g fiber
“Healthy” Stuffing = 278 calories, 22g fat, 12.4g protein, 4.4 carbs, 2.2g fiber